This is the week-end, and i have a good litterary game to suggest you... Rather than to determine if a memory is good or bad, positive or negative, let me introduce the project of two great writers to you... In the early 70's, Joe Brainard
(1942-1994) wrote his "I Remember
", described by Paul Auster as "a masterpiece . . . one of the few totally original books I have ever read,". One of my favourite french writer, Georges Perec
(1936-1982), read this book and gave, a few years later, his own version of his memories... Geoges Perec was the genius of the words, able to write a 300 pages lipogram novel ("La Disparition", An Avoid" in english without "e" letter), or his amazing palindroma of... 1247 words
!!! He was an influent member of OuLiPo = "workshop of potential literature" with many examples of writing constraints.
So i come back to "I remember": try to write 10 important "I remember" in your life between 7 and 25 years old, and share with us ;-)
Here are my ten memories:
1. I remember the day when my father had threatened me to bring me to Police Office to test lie detector: i had stolen around 15$ and i have hidden the banknote under a mirror frame. But i don't remember why i had stolen this money...
2. I remember my father asked me once to strangle a still alive and wounded quail during a hunting day. I did it crying a lot.
3. I remember when i heard secretly teachers talking together in an undertone and saying that the father of my best friend had commited suicide because of the war in Algeria, ten years after the end of this war. I was deeply in pain for seven days, since the moment when my best friend had disappeared with no reasons nor explanations... I didn't know what was this war and i think that's the day i have decided to study History.
4. I remember when my mother went after me with a broom. I closed the door of my bedroom. There were many holes on this door.
5. I remember the day in Brighton, UK when I have nearly fallen accidentally in the sea from a chalk cliff
6. I remember that I think that my first memory is a day when I removed thorns to a rose in a garden
7. I remember that my very first girl friend had green eyes and big breast
8. I remember that i have smoked my first cigarette when i was 11 years old, in a cave with my friends Thierry and Christophe.
9. I remember my last love night with Jocelyne in Istanbul, after offering her as break-up gift a wonderful golden necklace i had bought in a souk at Jeddah.
10. I remember that Yupah from Ayuttaya often told me that i was like a butterfly. She was right.